Sunday, October 10, 2010

'S Wienderful

Happy Thanksgiving! It was a busy holiday weekend at our house, but we still found a bit of time to cook some retro eats. On the menu for lunch today was the Quick Frank Supper - just a nice, simple dish that cooked itself while I got on with my (and by "my" I mean "Paula Deen's") apple butter pumpkin pie with praline pecans.

First I chopped up my veggies - tomatoes, onions, peppers:


Looks healthy so far. Now for the protein...


Hmmm. Sooo...heat up some butter in a pan. Arrange veggies in pan with a bit of salt and pepper and top with wieners.


Cover and let that cook on low for about 20 minutes. You should probably use this time to make a second meal because you won't want to eat this one.

20 minutes go by and I lift the lid to discover the wieners got a little excited in the pan and are now standing at attention. I cut them exactly as directed, so I can only assume this is the desired result.


The final step is to add a bunch of cheddar and cover it again until the cheese is all melted. I was most disappointed when I realized I hadn't purchased any yellow cheddar. We only eat the white stuff here and it's just not as colourful or retro. But anyways...


Jizz in the pan? I did intend for this blog to be rated G, but the wieners had other ideas. Or maybe it's just my mind that's in the gutter. Maybe to everyone else this actually looks appetizing. I decided to use to natural curvature of the wiener to my advantage for plating:


Q: But how did it taste?
A: Salt.

Fortunately we found the time to try another dish. This one seemed most appropriate for a Thanksgiving side dish - Turnip-Apple Bake. How could this go wrong???


Oh.

Dice 5 cups of turnip and boil for 10 minutes or so. Drain and toss with butter, s+p:


Mix up one can apple pie filling, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon (because the pie filling is apparently lacking in sweetness):


Mmm...gelatinous...Put layer of turnips in greased casserole, followed by a layer of apple and another layer of turnip. Top with flour/sugar/butter crumb topping and bake for 50 minutes. Bing!


It looks like dessert. It smells like dessert. And it turns out it tasted like dessert too. So here's my serving suggestion:


Not too shabby a dessert if you make sure you get a piece of apple in each bite. Turnip and whipped cream alone are an odd combination. Definitely our favourite dish so far. You just don't want to mix it up with gravy.

Next week - condensed soup! Be there.

2 comments:

  1. I think that this should definitely be a new Thanksgiving tradition...:P. The wieners that it, not the pie lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok Heather,
    so why did you start this blog? It's rather fabulous by the way. I have files of recipes that fall into this category if you need a resource.. hehe...

    ReplyDelete